PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Cessna 172
Thread: The Cessna 172
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2008, 10:15
TractorBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Guys,

I currently fly the Cessna 150/152's and want to take the step up to the Cessna 172.
Whats your opinion on the Cessna 172's handling and the overall feel of the aircraft? Is it much more difficult than the 150's/152's?

Feedback greatly appreciated.

Information Delta
I've got approx 90 hours in a C152 and just converted to a C172.

First impressions -

1) Much more roomy than a C152. I actually found it a bit disconcerting to start with - I'm 6' 2" and a C152 is rather cosy for me. Moving into a 172 I found the more traditional "driving" position unnatural and ended up moving the chair forward so I was as close to the controls as I was in the 152 !! I'll get used to it eventually......

2) Keep an eye out when taxying, as it's bigger !!!

3) The nose sits a lot lower than the C152, giving more vis, but it's deceiving on approach. You can feel you're coming in too steeply quite easily.

4) Requires more of an effort to control and you do notice the additional weight on the yoke in the climb. I got used to it quickly, though

5) Flys and handles nicely. As a general guide, I was told to add 5kts to the C152 speeds.

6) I found it requires quite a bit more rudder than the C152

7) I was advised NOT to use 40 degree flaps on final - be interested to hear other peoples opinions on that.

Can't think of anything else at the mo. It's not that difficult to master when you've learnt in a C152. I also preferred it to a PA28.