PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attn: Crew of QF189 YSSY-NZAA 07/04/2008
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2008, 06:34
HardCorePawn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Attn: Crew of QF189 YSSY-NZAA 07/04/2008

You sure did sound a little surprised after making your call at 10nm:

NZAA TWR: "...Be aware you may get a TCAS alert, traffic is a 152 orbiting to the south of the threshold"

QF189: "errrrr can you confirm traffic type"

TWR: "Traffic is a Cessna 152, orbiting to the south of the 05 right threshold"

QF189: "A 152... at night?!?!!? he's brave!"
Not brave mate... bravery is letting computers (and/or instructors) fly your aircraft! just a happy (newly night qualified) PPL on his way to a CPL enjoying the nightlife at NZAA...

And you're not the only one who was disappointed that it was just a low approach and overshoot...

NZAA TWR: Cleared low approach and overshoot, then direct to the city, 1500' or below

Me: "Cleared low approach and overshoot, direct to the city, 1500' or below"

QF189: "awwwww... I wanted to see him land with the crosswind!"
I would have loved to have demonstrated the 17kt crosswind landing ability of the 152 for you... I was even willing to pay the $50 "landing" fee for a T+G... but apparently this is not allowed And with that sort of breeze (140/17), I was actually considering using the 45m long/3635m wide, runway 14... tough approach with the terminal and tower on short final tho...

Thanks for making the evening even more memorable... and for putting the CFI in a good mood... he was chuckling all the way home!

Also, a big thanks to the Controller at NZAA for letting me have a play in the big boys sandpit... I owe you a drink!