PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airfields, East of York
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2008, 19:09
Shackman

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry for the late call - just seen the bit about the Lightning that effectively dead sticked it on to Acklington's runway. May/June 1967. I was the only eye witness to the event. The airfield had closed, and I was duty student locking up when I looked up to see the Lightning short finals to make a perfect (silent) landing on the numbers of the (relatively) short runway and come to a halt just short of the other end. As everyone else had gone home - including ATC and the fire section - I rang the SDO to tell him there was a Lightning on the runway. After a torrent of abuse for disturbing him in the bar, and being told there was no chance of one ever landing here, he eventually came out to see for himself (and then apologise). We went off to see what was going on and found the ac gently sinking into the tarmac (the runway was stressed for JPs and not the high pressure LCN of a Lightning). It turned out the pilot was an ex 6 FTS student on one of his pre FHT sorties, and as stated, had effectively run out of fuel well short of Leuchars. Luckily he remembered Acklington and knew he was well positioned for a PFL. IIRC correctly he got a good show for saving the jet - and chopped from the course!

The ac was eventually flown out by the UTP a few days later, and even with only just enough fuel to make Leuchars used the whole of the runway