PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporeair Captain recruitment
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2008, 16:39
BANANASBANANAS

Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts
Yes, 2 schools of thought here.

First one says that you should read the fine print carefully before you arrive. And if you then get shafted its actually all your fault. The second one is that actually its not the fine print that is the problem - rather the manner and attitude in which the company choose to interpret and apply it. I think most of us did scrutinise the fine print but are still somewhat taken aback at the way SIA Cargo subsequently interpreted and applied the contract.

Example? Housing Allowance. $3000 per month (when I joined). "... will be reviewed if there are significant changes in the market rate" says my contract. Well the market has seen rentals increase 100% while Housing Allowance has gone up 11% - and that is taxable. The company attitude is 'Hey, we reviewed it mate!'

The result of this indifference to its employees welfare (whilst supposedly safe in the perceived knowledge that we are all trapped by the punitive bond) is that there is a lot of bad feeling and lack of trust - not with the Flight Ops Managers as such, rather with the money men who actually drive company 'policy.' But the Managers applied for their positions and accepted the keys to the Executive washroom and therefore must take the flak that comes with the job. They cannot credibly feign surprise when guys refuse discretion, have 'just had a beer' when called on a layover to accept a no notice flight etc.

This all has a very definite impact on the 'bottom line' but as no beancounter can quantify it, it is deemed to simply not exist. If the SIA corporate culture could undergo a slight sea change and actually recognise and act on the premise that people are any company's most valuable asset then I suspect SIA Cargo would reap a substantial 'bottom line' benefit from the return of some goodwill.

Unfortunately, there is no sign of that happening, people continue to resign and the stand off continues for those that remain.

What a shame.

Last edited by BANANASBANANAS; 7th Apr 2008 at 18:58.