PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BO105 fatal accident back in 2006(?)
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2008, 16:17
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wing-over manoeuvres

This is bubbling away nicely. We still need NL's view.

Let's look at this condition from another viewpoint.

Imagine a 20 stone rugger forward standing stationary at Twickenham. You charge him for the tackle but you are 10 stone. At impact he will barely move but you'll bounce off and have a headache. It will matter not a tot whether there was a 20 knot breeze blowing at the time.

The reason is he possessed no positive inertia relative to the surface he was standing on. But you did.

Now visualise the same 20 stone guy heading for the touch down line at 15 knots. You are standing still this time. To throw him off balance you'd only need a gentle shove as he sped by ... 20 knot wind or no wind, the above example is sound.

The reason is, relative to the surface the rugger forward now possesses 15 knots x 20 stone of positive inertia. (I won't put it in ergs.) How well I recall the situation from my playing days. Get the big man when he is moving fast!

Al I can say lads is that you won't ever get me performing a rapid 180 degree turn into a downwind situation at low level. A few hours of experience taught me that a while ago.

Can we return to the 'earth moving' condition. Contrary to what has been said. If the globe were to instantly rotate from stationary to 1,000 mph, then the poor guy standing WILL for a few seconds similarly find himself launched across the surface at the same 1,000 mph. Once the 1,000 mph wind took effect however, he would slowly find himself returning to a stationary position relative to the earth once more.

BUT ... IF he was in a vacuum he'd remain forever at 1,000 mph somewhat like a satellite!

The condition is there and perhaps a physicist can explain better it than me.

Over to you lads, and especially Nick Lappos.

Dennis Kenyon.