PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporeair Captain recruitment
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2008, 13:19
expat400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flyingtheline is mostly correct in his observations, but he seems to be the "the glass is half empty" man.

All the contractual issues he mentions are revealed before signing the contract. If you read it...

Bond: I agree it's ridiculous. A 156 K bond for a 30 K training should be thrown out by an independent court. Don't try to take them to court in Singapore though.

Kids education: No secret, the contract is clear. Most guys with kids under 5 come here with a wife so the cage is not really necessary. Wifes can work in Singapore but I wouldn't count on it until the kids are a bit older.
Be aware though, they only pay for two children.

First officers: Yes, they are often inexperienced and due to lack of flying their skills are not always what you experience in US and European majors with shorthaul traffic.
But what do you expect? That is the main reason they hire us!

Layovers: The FO:s often asks me about dinner plans but I usually turn them down. I simple do not have so much in common with a Singaporean that is 20-25 years younger than me. The 10 hours or so we spend on the flight deck is usually enough. Besides, if you have some social competence the world is full of bars where you can meet interesting people. Of your liking...

Other pilots: I'm sorry, but I have never considered other guys Gelang activities being something negative to my life in Singapore.

Local pilots: I have been invited to parties, golf but not dinners. I don't consider that strange. I haven't really invited anyone myself.

Housing market: Now, if we're in the end of a bubble as you say. That is a good thing for the new joiners, isn't it?
However, it seems like youre bitter for missing out on the run. An apartment is worth exactly as much as someone wants to pay for it. Be it 300K or 1,5 million. Not what you consider it's worth.

Overall I do not think Flyingtheline is wrong in his observations. I have experienced it all myself. The difference is that it is exactly what I expected. I am a hired mercenary in a foreign country. I do not expect to be welcomed by all, I do not expect to be "respected" by the company. I do my job, enjoy the benefits (like 10 % tax, a safe society, a wonderful climate, fantastic food and nice travel opportunities in the area).

I'm on Cargo and I'd pay a lot for the chance to be on the 777 in mainline. They have the roster stability we miss. They have the chance to bring the family on trips and they have 42 days of leave...

Come, but come with reasonable expectations. If you want things to be like home... Stay at home.