PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Apache...this can't be true
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2008, 10:05
Front Seater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone that is on the shop floor, feels this pain I totally agree with your post Low Ball.

To me the gain (saving lives) is the biggest reason to keep going and yes, although I would like more hours to train I reckon that if UK plc is that broke and there genuinely is no other option but to run our fleets of AH in the way we do, then I am with you.

But, all I hope is that when/if I or one of my colleagues makes a mistake due to a Human Factors error (aircraft, weapon delivery etc etc) and the associated BoI finds me guilty that the same people that knowingly are having to save money (including training hours) also stand by and accept the blame and protect me.

The moment that I lose faith in the military hierarchy in this area then I no longer become a warrior or a 'gun pilot' - I become a risk averse, safety extreme Apache pilot, which in my opinion (and experience) will not be what the guys on the ground want.

But thank you Low Ball for putting the other side of the case forward - and I know that there are loads of Staff wollers out there that would just love to be flying AH and will never get the chance, but still work long hours to ensure that we have the best support possible in an environment where the politicians want to use the UK military to punch above its weight, but not put any weight or substance into its military.