PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Management (Split From T5 Thread)
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2008, 08:24
FlightCosting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standard of BA Mangement

Jim McAuslan BALPA writes in todays FT

[QUOTE]Sir, Failings on the opening days of Heathrow Terminal 5 are symptomatic of British Airways’ loss of focus in delivering a sound operation. This airline can and should make Britain proud but a fundamental change of attitude is required from the very highest levels of BA management.The British Airline Pilots’ Association has for years pressed BA to focus on operational integrity – punctuality, baggage delivery and product quality. Get that right and the customers will keep coming back[/QUOTE].

The problem with the “highest levels of BA Management” is the abysmal low level of capability and complete lack of experience.

When I started my career in aviation some 40 years ago, I was told that Aviation was one industry where there is no replacement for hands on experience. BOAC/BEA did sponsor employees to do a degree in Management but as a sandwich course where the pie in the sky ideas of lecturers where tempered by the realities they experienced whilst on the ground. The result was well balanced staff who had both aviation and management skills. What has happened since those long forgotten days is that people have been promoted beyond their capability and realising the fact they have moved to safeguard their position by ensuring that anybody that they employ has less capability than they have. The result is an ever decreasing level of management capability with BA management. The really capable people have been held back and in most cases have left to work for other airlines who appreciate their professionalism. Some poor souls stick it out and remain the lone voices crying in the wilderness. Britain has made a big contribution to aviation. there are many expats working in the industry all over the world making a positive contribution.

I wonder how many of the current BA management would be head hunted by other companies for their capability and experience.