PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Nelson ALPA pilots to strike
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2008, 05:47
burty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only relevant points to this conversation is a) did the Ansett pilots strike, and b) what was the outcome? The answers of course are yes, they did, and they all ended up out of work
How many of those pilots are still out of work now? How many of them are earning less than when they were with Ansett New Zealand/Qantas NZ? If the current business paradigm no longer supports the conditions and salary that you believe appropriate or that can be found elsewhere, is it your duty to make the concessions required to allow the current business model to continue working? I feel no particular urge to support a companies shareholders at my expense.

If you can't pay me enough to keep me reasonably happy and still make money for yourself than you have failed as a manager/business. Better that your business go under than I stay as your effective surf. Maybe you think I should be greatful for the job as well?

Ansett went under, life goes on. New opportunities arise for those with the motivation and wherewithal to take them on. Alternativley we could kowtow to management under the veiled threat that if we demand what we feel we are worth then the skys may fall on our head. Should this happen then I will look forward to the new opportunities that will come with a further evolution within the industry, knowing that at least I was paid what I felt was my due.

Out.

Last edited by burty; 7th Apr 2008 at 05:49. Reason: Spelling of course