PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying more than 100h a month
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2008, 13:09
escobar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel that we should end this debate here. Obviously we both differ in our views towards the aviation industry. I am well aware that with only a couple of hundred hours instructing I am a better pilot than I ever was during my training. I have no doubt that after training a 200h wonderkid is in a much better position than I was with 200h to undertake a sim and ultimately a left hand seat with an airline. I have been in two emergency situations during my time with captains, the first was with a capt who had not been an instructor and he almost fell to pieces, the second was with an ex instructor and he carried on as if nothing had happened, trouble shooting, analyising, monitoring. I have been in 10s of "apparent emergency situations with students" ones that I remember happening when i was a student with an instructor and the instructor calmly taking controls and sorting it. Now I am that instructor calmly taking controls, my capacity has increased. Its also obvious the capts who have been instructors and who haven't. Ones who haven't want to just fly, ones who have will impart their knowledge. I'm much happier flying with ex instructors.
I speak from the bottom of the food chain, however it is very easy to forget when flying commercially and with auto-pilots, that we are pilots and not cockpit monitors. My company has employed guys who will get command when they hit their 500h multi crew, even though they only have sep time,providing they are good enough. My whole point was that I want to be in the position to get a shot at command when i hit my 2500h, company mins. I'm not finding shortcuts, i'm playing the game. When people are paying for integrated courses, buying time on type, is it not them that are taking short cuts?

To conclude my question has been answered, and I thank all contributors, how this topic has managed to take such a digresion is normal for pprune. Petty digs and back stabbing seems to be rife in the aviation industry, and hence when its anonymous this is heightened. Bose-x, whilst I have valued your input, was there any real need to question my dedication to my students? The post was mis-read by you, or possibly taken out of context but it was a snide post to make on a topic which had nothing to do with instructing.

My question has been answered so if any mods are about can you please lock this topic now? Thanks