PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R/T phraseology .... AGAIN!
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2008, 12:59
Jenna Talia

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Its called Professionalism

Russell says:

Re the "pending clearance" whinge, I can see why a pilot would use this phrase. When departing from an uncontrolled airport and climbing to, say FL220, use of this phrase stops ATC from replying with "remain outside controlled airspace etc." or similar, meaning don't climb above FL180 until you've got your clearance, which actually clutters up the radio more than simply saying "I'm climbing to FL220 pending clearance" does.
Opinions are like a*seholes, everyone has one. It does not matter whether you consider it justified, the fact is (not opinion) that it is incorrect terminology to use the term, 'Pending Clearance'.

Soulman asks:

Re the "climbing FLXXX pending clearance" - what is the correct phraseology Krusty?
I hope Krusty does not mind me answering for him, but the correct terminology is simply, "Climbing to FL???" In other words, your flight planned level, regardless of what class of airspace that level maybe. ATC will either deny you clearance, provide you clearance to that level or provide you with an intermediate level until your flight planned level becomes available.

Another bad habit that creeps in, or more that it is not properly taught at the instructing phase is continually calling the ATC station by their station name or just 'Centre' for every subsequent request. Eg - 'BN Centre, ABC maintaining FL???' A few minutes later, 'BN Centre (or Centre), ABC request .....', then shortly thereafter, BN Centre (or Centre) ABC request ...' and each subsequent request is still prefixed with 'BN Centre' or Centre.

Reference to the ATC station should be called only the one time on initial contact. After that it should just be 'ABC request ...' and so on for each subsequent request or other matter, until instructed to contact the following frequency.

JT

Last edited by Jenna Talia; 6th Apr 2008 at 13:12.