PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane ditches off Brampton Island
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2008, 07:02
onthedials

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I can think of several old aircraft with fuel systems that are "uninterpretable", I think Werbil meant "uninterruptable"! (FAR 23.995 (g) (2) says that fuel valves must not be moved through the "OFF" position to change tanks).

Creampuff noted that the ethical codes for real professions prohibit commenting about, reflecting on, or criticizing of the work of colleagues in most situations, so that (among other things) the subject colleague has an opportunity to get a fair hearing. Rumour mongering can only open opportunities for the uninformed who will grasp at even a twig on which they can build a case for blame, responsibility and all that entails. Further, such behaviour encourages people outside the profession who lack proper education in its knowledge to jump to conclusions that someone properly instructed in the matter would recognise as incorrect or deficient in logic. Such behaviour is therefore neither in the interests of the public/community, nor in the interests of the profession. In real professions, the interests of self, both commercial and personal, come last. When the members of a profession have sufficient self- or imposed-discipline to hold their tongues about the work of their colleagues, the subject matter can be more effectively dealt with in an objective inquiry free of those constraints.

In my view, it doesn't matter if the comments are made directly or not.

There is an objective body charged with determining the facts of every air safety incident in Australia and ethical members of real professions would remain silent while that process was under way.

But apparently not so for pilots. Creampuff is right.

Someone said I need to take a chill pill and he's right too, because many have already decided what kind of a business flying is and will be. But having chosen not to be professional, and when something goes wrong in which you are involved, don't expect the media to go easy on you as they exploit similarly unprofessional comments from your colleagues, or when you find yourself unfairly prejudiced in explaining yourself to to a panel of well-meaning non-pilots, who may well be already convinced that what they read or heard earlier must be right - and quite possibly that you should pay.

OTD.