PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2008, 23:04
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Now for a new fact, a rumour and an apology.

BA have NOT made a claim on it's insurance policy for the hull loss yet. The insurers have of course been advised, and the aircraft has been assessed as a hull loss. The reason for not yet submitting the claim is that they still don't know what caused the incident - so the prospect of cross claims between Boeing's, Roll's Royce's or other insured entities is as yet unquantifiable.

The theory on the part of the floor at Lloyd's (as of last week) is that it ain't the fuel that caused it, it's "RF interference". The theory goes that after George Brown was dropped off at Heathrow, his driver, or some other entity either deliberately or accidentally forgot to switch off their "jammer" and that the aforesaid vehicle on it's return journey may have gotten within "range" of the affected B777 and caused the mischief.

According to the Lloyd's rumour, the "jammer" in Brown's convoy apparently does very, very considerably more then just "jam cell phones", doing bad things to guidance and detonation systems over short ranges and I will leave it to your imagination to work out what that means.

IF (and it's a very large "if") this theory has any credibility, then the AAIB and HMG are in a pickle since this stuff is classified, and a suitable cover story will have to be constructed.

So my apology to Green Dot, Lloyd's currently agrees with you, although I'm buggered if I can think how such a signal would get into what is almost a perfect Faraday Cage.