PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Real" Engine outs
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2008, 12:28
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Windmilling props and forced landings

Putting my glider pilot's hat on here......
Motorgliders with feathering props are pretty common. (Sf 25, etc....)
We have prop brakes, as stopping the prop windmilling takes a fair time at low speed (just above the stall and wait!) Once stopped, we feather the prop and set it horizontal. That's so we don't bang it on the ground if we get the landing wrong, and saves it sticking up spoiling the view. The difference between windmilling and stopped is nearly as great as between stopped and feathered. Get a ride in one to try it out if you can. It isn't the same as a light aircraft, even the grotty twoseaters will glide at about 25 to one, and we have airbrakes or spoilers to make the landing easy. I used to teach in a motor falke, and we normally landed engine stopped. I am now learning to instruct in three axis microlights, and we routinely land engine stopped on the airfield (600m grass). Frankly, it isn't very hard once you get over the idea that you can't go around, and it takes about the same distance as engine turning. It is a steeper approach, so if you feel like trying it choose a nice long field and don't try to land right at the beginning first time. Just learn to sideslip, and flaps down only when absolutely sure of getting in or not at all, sideslips are more controlable.