PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Life
Thread: Atlas Life
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2008, 02:57
Skualo3

I was hired less then a year ago, and because I have dual citizenship, I was hoping to do a stint in Europe while based in STN. Due to the exchange rate and the fact we would loose one income I was not able to do so, but it would have been easy and QOL would have been better then present (which is not bad as far as I am concerned). I feel relatively comfortable with the financial side of Atlas, but things can change quickly, and the experience and the type are well worth the risk, specially considering that I was so burned out with my old job I was considering getting a job at the regionals!
While you are in the US, GTW allows you to fly to where your pattern starts on a positive space ticket or company aircraft. They have up to 36 hours to get you to work; you add the 17+4 and then 36 to get back, so it can be a long period of time. Once you are in Europe its much better, depending on where you reside you might get to do reserve at your own residence, and you can split the 17 days in 2 or more (?) groups. They have a system to get you back and forth based on (I believe) a last minute ticket on Ryan Air, if it is more you pay the difference, if less they pay the ticket. For what I understand, it balance itself off, with most months requiring no out of pocket expenses to get to work ( again, it depends on where you end up living)
I share WD outlook, don’t think its perfect but I am enjoying it. Not much fling and even less T/O&Landings, hardly over guarantee in the slow season, a lot of last minute changes, but I am really enjoying it. The way I look at it, they can do whatever they want in those 17 days, and I would rather flying then being at the hotel. When I am off, my cell is off, and with up to 14/15 days off a month in a row, it feels like a mini-vacation every month!
Good luck and feel free to PM me for more specific questions