PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: 7.30 Report, Pilot's shortage (03 April 08)
Old 5th Apr 2008, 00:57
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of these companies need to learn, it's not he 1990s anymore with walk ins and resumes arriving every day. Pilots with the sort of experience they want to employ are in short supply. Just look at Fridays Australian, plenty of "first jobs" being advertised, jobs that ten years ago would have been snapped up the instant they became available.

If someone has laid out $50 -100 000 on their qualifications, do you really expect them to work for taxi driver money. Try telling a newly qualified accountant he should get $35 000/year and see what he says.

The old business model where pilots were abundant cheap labour need to be re worked. I live in the economy and need to earn enough to buy a house, and do my shopping. If you won't pay me enough I'll find some one who will or do something else. Arguments that I should work cheap so you can have a business, and at least I've got a job won't get very far when I've just spent $400 in 45 minutes at the dentist and my acountant charges $60 an hour.

I want the going rate for my services, ten years ago when pilots were abundant you were quite happy to take advantage of it, now it's my turn.