PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF CompA ??
Thread: RAF CompA ??
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2008, 10:48
Pete268

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I recall little of what happened, as a young airman in the 1980's in Cyprus, I was described as 'Gravely ill' following an RTA. I was admitted to TPMH at Akro and being too ill to be aeromedded at that time, I could quite possibly have died if it hadn't been for the skill of the surgeon and team at TPMH. Both my mother and sister were informed of my pending demise and as if by magic a car whisked them off to Teeside Airport to fly down to LHR and onward onto a BA flight to LCA. Another fast drive from LCA to TPMH and both mother and sister were at my bedside within 15 hours of the accident. Incredible work by all the team involved to whom both myself and family will always be eternally grateful.

I was eventually 'stabilised' and aeromedded back to UK. This was apparently no easy task, as due to my injuries it required a full aeromed team (another bunch of unsung heroes in my book). I recall very little, other than my stretcher with drips, oxygen masks and god knows whatever else attached to me being lifted onto the RAF TriStar by the catering truck. I clearly remember the tail number of the TriStar ZE705 – is it still in service?

I also vaguely remember looking out of the window and was somewhat perturbed see a whole line of fire engines following the TriStar as we taxied for take off. Other than that it is blur other than thinking that you got an awful lot of legroom on a stretcher as opposed to being couped up in a seat!

At the other end I was woken up to be lifted off by again a catering truck I think. into a waiting ambulance alongside the aircraft. Straight off to RAFH Wroughton for 6 months followed by three months in Headley Court and I was rebuilt albeit 'retired medically' from the RAF and dispatched to civilian life with a War Pension to boot.

As others have said, the Comp ABC etc scheme is one thing the RAF excelled in and shouldn't be tampered with. Also the Aeromed system was/is fantastic. Just a pity that if my accident occurred now, there would be no RAFH Wroughton to be treated so superbly in (or other dedicated Military hospital – thank god TPMH still survives albeit in 'cut down' form I am led to believe nowadays).

I owe an eternal debt of gratitude to all those who selflessly worked to save my life.