PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 4th Apr 2008, 09:50
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 206 Likes on 73 Posts
But like all industries there is a constant turnover of staff, whether it be retirement, illness or just plain pissed off with their job, and so there will be a need to attract new, keen, un-bloodied guns to take up the mantle.

Funny. I seem to remember Sabena and Swiss going bust and Virgin and MyTravel announcing big redundancies just a few years ago and then there were NO jobs for Wannabes overnight. Indeed nobody resigned from any airline because they were pissed off with the job. They were too worried about their mortgage for such indulgence.

Just one small UK airline like xxxxxxx or xxxxxxxx going under would make enough experienced pilots redundant to replace every retiring and medically unfit pilots for years to come.

Meanwhile Joey Wannabe has a very expensive IR slowly expiring, a big loan and a job offer from Burger King.

And its ME that will have to sit here on this forum next year reading the endless wailing of despair from Wannabes bemoaning the lack of jobs, the debt misery and the endless agony of their lives post basic training!

I do sincerely hope that things turn out better than I expect them to. But remember: British households are not just more indebted than their counterparts in America, but more than in any other western European or G7 economy. To make things worse all this debt is backed nearly entirely by house prices. A note by ABN AMRO, the investment bank, said — I quote for its full gore — ‘The UK looks more vulnerable to a housing correction than the US. The degree of overvaluation looks more acute, nearing 50 per cent in the UK compared with 25 per cent in the US.’

We live in a credit fueled country and are at the start of a huge credit crunch.. protect yourself and your family.