PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oil Price Hedging In MAS and Other Airlines
Old 4th Apr 2008, 09:44
Langkasuka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malaysian Oil futures

Wira, Sireh, Paishinel ( from some other thread ) and other concerned Malaysians.........before I start telling what I know, I will need to cover my arse and tracks. It is HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL and bordering on tthe CONSPIRATORIAL! What you see from the other threads are just glimpses of how our Malaysian oil wealth went down the jamban.........just don't pooh pooh the info there. It is very close to the actual truth as far as I know. I have refrained from adding " fuel " to this until such time I know I am safe; so guys, just hang on....will post what I know later.

Idris Jala has a point that competitive hedging is the order of the day as very few people are in the know to make strategic fuel price hedging viable. The way geo politics drive the global oil and commodities markets make it risky to consider strategic hedging. For those who are familiar with the commodities and oil futures market would remember that a big gun like Steve Forbes predicted that oil price would plunge to 60-70USD by this time, but we are seeing prices above USD100 a barrel.