PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 4th Apr 2008, 09:18
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 208 Likes on 75 Posts
You may well not have heard such cautionary words elsewhere. Whom do you suppose would write them? The CAA? The Flying Schools? The airlines?

This place, this forum, exists as a somewhat unique resource for Wannabe where they may learn and exchange information about their desired career. If the information is that their desires may be thwarted by imminent and unfolding economic recession then whilst this is disheartening, saddening, and woeful, it is ultimately, useful information to have at hand.

I completed my basic training in a previous decade. I stopped being a commercial flying instructor early in this millenium. I am now a Captain in a growing EU airline with a fairly secure career. I have no Vested Interest in talking down the airline jobs market.

I serve only to provide a warning sign. A note of caution. To act as augury in a bid to protect a flock of Wannabes.

You are quite right. There is always a need for airlines. But with no growth there is little requirement for new pilots.. Splurging £80k on a dream right now might put you and your family in a nightmare tomorrow.

Please try to avoid the mistake of shooting the messenger..