PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What will become of REX
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2008, 00:47
KRUSTY 34

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
You'd hope they would SIUYA. Although as long as the crew occupying the seats at the front of the aircraft meet at least the bare minimum requirements, I'm not sure just how much CASA can do.

The arguement of experience vs advanced initial training has been going on for years. By all accounts, some large Jet operators have sucessfully gone down this path in one form or another. Of course REX is not a large Jet operator, and the operating conditions can be quite dissimilar.

Years ago I worked for an operator that was of the opinion that as long as the crew met the minimum requirements, then there was no problem. That particular company I must say had very little in the way of formalised surveilance of it's crews, and the CAA at the time appeared equally blase' with regard to just how dangerous it can be out there. Some of the pilots were diligent and conciencious professionals. some not so. The travelling public were litterally playing Russian roulette and didn't even know it! One cold, dark and particularily nasty winters evening one of the not so dilligent captains made an error and 7 people didn't go home!

I'm not for one minute saying that REX are anything but 100% complient with their check and training obligations, but the acceptance of the bare minimum as being acceptable rather than the retention of experience, does give one food for thought.