PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What will become of REX
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 23:21
SIUYA

Received 81 Likes on 25 Posts
K34........

Re the perceptions of the (pending??) lack of total experience in a REX cockpit which sees to be:

A situation that REX management are apparently comfortable with!
That's probably a pretty fair call KRUSTY , but I don't think that CASA would be at the same level of 'comfort' as REX management presently appear to be at. Particularly when it (CASA) is no doubt very carefully considering REXs obligations under Section 28BE and 28BF of the Act, as follows (bold/underlining is my emphasis):

28BE Duty to exercise care and diligence
(1) The holder of an AOC must at all times take all reasonable steps to ensure that every activity covered by the AOC, and everything done in connection with such an activity, is done with a reasonable degree of care and diligence.
(2) If the holder is a body having legal personality, each of its directors must also take the steps specified in subsection (1).
(3) It is evidence of a failure by a body and its directors to comply with this section if an act covered by this section is done [U without a reasonable degree of care and diligence[/U] mainly because of:
(a) inadequate corporate management , control or supervision of the conduct of any of the body’s directors , servants or agents; or
(b) failure to provide adequate systems for communicating relevant information to relevant people in the body.
(4) No action lies, for damages or compensation, in respect of contravention of this section.
(5) This section does not affect any duty imposed by, or under, any other law of the Commonwealth, or of a State or Territory, or under the common law .

AND............

28BF Organisation, personnel etc.
(1) The holder of an AOC must at all times maintain an appropriate organisation, with a sufficient number of appropriately qualified personnel and a sound and effective management structure, having regard to the nature of the operations covered by the AOC.
(2) The holder must establish and maintain any supervisory positions in the organisation, or in any training and checking organisation established as part of it, that CASA directs, having regard to the nature of the operations covered by the AOC.

Some pretty strong 'catch-all' provisions in that lot I'd say!

So, with the benefit of hindsight of the circumstances involving flight crew (in)experience in a recent and VERY bad accident involving LC RPT operations, I'd strongly suspect that (despite flyitboy's 'wild' assertions) CASA will definitely be stepping in and taking action a l-o-n-g time before it gets to the stage where inexperience in REX cockpits could/may lead to an accident.

Last edited by SIUYA; 3rd Apr 2008 at 23:35.