PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened to the Liberty's
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 18:49
CocoBongos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew the Liberty XL2 about 18 months ago on a demo flight with a Liberty Pilot.

I found the aircraft very difficult to flare for landing, the pitch control was very sensitive. The aircraft also literally "jumped" into the air on take off followed by a significant reduction in IAS.

When attempting small control inputs, the control stick seemed to be "stuck" in position but when harder force was applied it suddenly moved causing an excessive control inputs.

I had great difficulty in setting the correct attitude for the flare and touch down. The aircraft either pitched up too much, ("ballooned"), or pitched down too much, ("wheelbarrow", with inevitable nose wheel contact first together with the well known consequences), unless you were very quick to correct.

I found the aircraft very difficult to trim for straight and level flight, constantly pitching up or down and requiring to be re-trimmed again and again.

The Liberty XL2 is "close coupled" in pitch, (i.e. short distance from the lateral axis to the stabilator), therefore any issues that relate to pitch sensitivity are greatly amplified when compared to the couple on say a C150/2, C177, (incidentally a lovely aircraft with a stabilator!) or the Pipers.

During my flight in the XL2, I noticed the Liberty pilot closely guarding the control stick, especially on landing and take off. There was probably a reason for this, draw your own conclusions?

Liberty promote the XL2 as an ideal training aircraft, (primarily because of its low operational cost for the schools and clubs), but for the inexperienced student or newly qualified pilot it may well present challenges beyond their skill level that will likely negate any cost savings operating the XL2 versus the Cessna and Piper aircraft.