PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 17:30
Dane-Ger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I go into this with open eyes and I must admit that this thread does worry me.

but what should wannabes do? just give up? at the age of 33 I can't really afford to sit and wait it out.

what I do know is that The pilots I know have all one thing in common (apart from luck) in that they were doggedly determined to get to where they are now, and when I ask them "if someone told YOU whilst training, stop now it's not worth it, would you?" they all say the same thing.

My wish is to be an instructor, If I make that I will be ecstatic. my job is teaching, my love is flying. but instructing jobs will of course will also be affected by any downturn. so maybe part time, maybe I will have to travel far across the world. whatever it takes.

WWW you're posts are very sobering, and give a realistic insight into the immense problems ahead for newly qualified pilots (and I'm sure many experienced ones). but I'm curious, if you were a wannabe just now, would you give it up?

Regards

D-G

Edit - what i forgot to say was that the current uncertainty (and this thread) has made may alter my plans, I decided after the many downturn warnings to go directly from CPL to FI rating, instead of doing an IR first. Time to try and get a foot in the door I think

Last edited by Dane-Ger; 3rd Apr 2008 at 17:45.