PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHL/LH to use B777
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 16:35
Boxshifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EAM, sorry didn't want to displace you to the land behind the dikes . By the way the t&c with German airlines are one of the reasons, why I am also not working at home anymore.

You are right with your statement that the salary is within what is "normal" for Germany. However keep in mind that the starting salary with LH is usualy for a career starter on a narrow boddy aircraft and not on a B777. Even within LH it usually takes some time to progress to a B747 or A340. As the salary increases with time the pay after, let's say 5 years with LH is considerably higher, for both Capatains and First Officers, and if my information is correct, above what is on offer with AeroLogic. Not to mention the additional benefits, e.g. pension, loss of license, travel deals etc.

It's true, you will always find pilots who are willing to fly for this conditions. It's just a question if, especially as a start up, you can setup an operation like this. Of course you can but there might be a price to pay for and I don't know if it's worth to pay this price. Have a look at Jade Cargo. Rumours are that they have already lost more money with aircraft sitting on the ground due to pilot shortage, than a decent international standard package for t&c would have cost them.

And dear fellow coleagues, please don't get the impression that I am a snobish, overpayed pilot. No, in my opinion everyone deserves decent t&c and more a decent pay, be at on an ATR, a B737 or a B777!