PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reminders to pilots using OMAA/AUH
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 16:25
ATSI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mensaboy

I understand the difficulties and various differences around the world you pilots will experience... At least I think I do!

At the moment ADAC (Abu Dhabi Airport Company) and especially Etihad Airways are very focussed on OTP (On Time Performance). Some of the delay is pushed on to be an ATC related delay. Some justified but most should be separated into scheduling, airport procedures, airport layout and expansion/closure etc., "domino-effect" (aircraft not ready at the holding point causing delay to other aircraft behind), weather and landing/take-off restrictions, as well as simple congestion delay (its an airport!).

A question, speed control is in effect until exactly what point in the following scenario? On downwind assigned 220kts... can we slow after base turn or have to wait until cleared for approach? (assuming nothing else is said in relation to speed control)
If assigned a speed, 220 kts, then maintain until you hear "No [ATC] speed restrictions" or when ATC terminates the speed control. And yes, ATC will forget to say this at times, so you better ask if you're unsure. Otherwise, speedcontrol shall not be applied after passing 4 NMs on final approach.

GMC = Ground Movement Control (aka SMC, GND, Ground..)

Isn't the requested FL on the flight plan you receive for us? Just wondering.
Yes, it is in the system either in the RPL or FPL, but we still have to ask and forward the information to Emirates ACC (En-route). Today we don't have it on the Flight Progress Strip, but earlier we did and 8 out of 10 were incorrect anyway!!!

Ref. SIDs, or Standard Departures as we call it, is pretty simple for OMAA. Runway heading climb 3,000 feet (after passing 500 ft contact APP 124,4). I know you still have to program your FMS, but the only changes should be track heading 127 or 307. Isn't that easy to change?
I know a runway change can be a nightmare, but ATC will try to make it as smooth as possible (for their own sake too..), since late decisions, especially for arrivals can be confusing and result in dangerous situations.

As a remark, controllers have finally been accepted by EY to join in on familiarisation flights, which will be beneficial for all controllers but especially trainees and young inexperienced controllers (as well as for pilots for interaction purposes. I hope!)

Ref. to approaching the runway, wheter you're ready or not, it would be a little help if you reported ready for departure either when being transferred from Ground Control to TWR or by yourself when TWR is combined.

Ref. Jeppesen, which ATC doesn't refer to, may be outdated so therefore always check with the local AIP...

I hope I covered it all.