PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 6
Thread: Ryanair - 6
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 13:03
Flitefone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easter Traffic

This is getting a bit peripheral for Prune, so I will make this my last remark on the topic.

School and Public Holiday regimes vary widely accross Europe and even within the UK. Ryanair to their credit is the master of exploiting these and other external factors (like sports events) in their yield management system.

To answer your question, the English system (Scotland is I believe different here) has a school year made basically of three 12 week semesters (terms). Each semester is broken at six weeks with a week off (half term) and finishes with a 2-3 week break at Easter and year end, with a longer break for summer.

The problem this year is that Easter fell too close to the February half term meaning that the semester is for some schools too short.

Many English schools therefore postponed the 'Easter holidays' by two weeks. Example Dorset is just finishing their Easter break, Hampshire has yet to start theirs.

The impact on travel stats is that many family holiday trips taken at the 'easter school break' bulge have yet to happen... so March traffic stats will be hard to measure against past performance.

FF