PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Management (Split From T5 Thread)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 07:53
BAengineering

One step forward two steps back

Is BA operating a 'one step forward to steps back' or a Dr Doolittle 'Push me Pull me' management philosophy?

Judging by the post on the Guardian ONLINE I think either one would suit. How on earth can BA still be reporting 17,000 bags are still at Heathrow. Despite all the huffing an puffing, the 400 management volunteers, they have still only reduced the 'baggage mountain' (sounds distinctly EU) by just 2000 bags. (using BA's own figures)

Using my rudimentary mathematic skills, over a 7 day period using 400 Management volunteers per day, that works out at 22,400 manhours over the last week. (400 * 8hr day * 7 days)

Taking this further, it looks like it takes some 11.2 hrs (1.5 days) to move each bag. Now that is an prime example of BA efficiency. But then we have to remember these are untrained, undirected personnel, so what can you expect?

Judging by current performance, assuming the same level of 'volunteering' can be afforded by BA (Paying overtime rates) then I expect the bag situation to be resolved in 60 days (17,000 bags * 11.2 * 3200 manhours per day)

Judging by the DR Doolittle approach taken by BA management, it is no wonder we have decided to ship the baggage to Milan for sorting. Especially for an airport which has had a recent history for organised baggage theft, LINK. Why did we contract it out? Because our current performance mean't there was clearly no way to reunite bags anytime within the next 2 months! If it wasn't so serious you may laugh....