PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cause of Willowbank C206 crash
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 05:49
frothy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew Jumpers for a period of over twenty years, Yes, I wore a Slimline and would have used it if the situation warranted. The Chief Pilot flew for the one Para Club for over 35 years also wore one, in fact he went and did a couple of jumps so he was competent to use it. I was instructor for a number of years before I did the flying for them so I had a fair idea on the use. This was before it was recommended. Not much use in the Dragon. to hard to get out of, but I have been a jumper on the Dragon when it pranged(VH AGC) but we didn't get high enough to get out of it. The dust still going up when I left it.
I remember years ago a good Pilot we knew had a problem dropping Jumpers onto a beach in the Sydney area in a Noresman had a problem and got out, he said he had watched the jumpers go out in a stable spread, he did that but when he came in to pull he went head down so he went back to the spread to get stable, this happened a couple of time until it was,"got to do something" time. He pulled head down on the unsleeved canopy. very solid opening
I had an eng. failure in a 185 once at 8500', by the time I turned round to tell the Jumpers we had a problem, I was talking to an empty aeroplane,plenty of height, landed no power, no big deal thanks fellas
So my advice to anyone flying Jumpers, wear the rig supplied and get a thorough briefing on its use, even going for a Tandem would be an idea. If your flying for a Mob I can't see why they should not GIVE you a Tandem jump
We never had a maint. problem with the A/c we flew, as only the 2 of us flew it and HS (CP) handled the maint. and we didn't have the need or urge to beat the Jumpers down to the detriment of the Powerplant or Airframe
So if you've got a rig, wear it, I hope you don't have to use it, but you might be very thankful one day

Frothy