PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting my PPL
Thread: Starting my PPL
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 16:12
DX Wombat

Location: The Burrow, N53:48:02 W1:48:57, The Tin Tent - EGBS, EGBO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing about the PA28 is that a lot of FTO's use them for the IMC, so if you're planning on progressing to the IMC it might be an idea to stay put on the PA28?
Why? I am doing my IMC in a perfectly adequately equipped C152. I also fly a DA40TDi which fully airways compliant.
so the PA28-161 isn't a good trainer because it does everything that Piper meant it to do to be a good trainer
It was designed as a tourer and migrated to the training area.
G-EMMA, I am appalled by your rudeness to people with FAR greater knowledge and experience of teaching people to fly in light aircraft. Does experience count for nothing or is only your opinion of any worth?
will teach you to be polite to aeroplanes and make up for learning in an easy aircraft.
If you leave it until AFTER you gain your licence then you have left it too late and could well end up in serious difficulties from which you may or may not be able to recover.
Hardly any of the PPL course is basic handling anyway, you will be glad of the stable platform when circuit bashing in blustery conditions and doing your first solo navs.
If that is really how you are being taught then I suggest you find yourself a good, reputable FTO which will teach you how to fly properly. I have a few hours in PA28s (including RG) and PA38s and found them heavy and far less responsive than the C152. That is NOT to say they are unsuitable for training, it is merely how I found them. It is intersting to note however that of those of us who converted to the DA40, it was those who flew the C152 who found it brilliant to fly, whilst those who flew the PA28 described it as "very twitchy". Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the C152 has to be flown, you can't just treat it like a motorised airborne pram?
It is interesting to note that a very well respected CPL (amongst other things) examiner once told me that he could always tell which of the CPL candidates he was examining had learned in a C152 because they were the ones who knew what to do with their feet - ie they knew how to use the rudder properly and were well coordinated.
Do you remember why it says here to learn not to inform F3G? You keep using the title ad nauseum as I knew you would. You have a very short memory.

The fact is there is very little difference in the qualities of the aircraft.
....................... Thankfully plenty of time for me to get lots of experience and remain just as emphatic as ever.
G-EMMA, I really hope you get the time to learn and obtain good experience, but with your apparent "Iam the only one who is right and I know it all" attitude, I fear that, in the words of a former FI who helped to teach me, "I forsee a starring rolefor X in an AAIB report."
If you get off your high horse and put your hyperbole to bed for a while,
I strongly recommend you take this advice to heart, listen and learn. I really do NOT want you, or anyone else to end up as an AAIB statistic.