PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair bomb scare
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 11:07
Catabolic IBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starbear and others. I would be surprised to hear that an airline will not have guidelines in place for terrorist threats, especially in today’s political climate. In all probability they do have guidelines and perhaps do not make it clear to us. The original thread started with

A Captain in Ryanair was 'bollocked' by the deputy chief pilot (Base Captain at a southern UK major London airport) for diverting an aircraft due to a bomb threat made in flight last year by a passenger during a flight from Lubeck to Stansted.

The captain was told in no uncertain terms that 'Its impossible to get a bomb on an aircraft in Europe' and what as he doing. ”

On the face of it this would read to be a very unjust treatment of a professional. However, as with all things PPRUNE as it appears here may not be inline with actual facts hence the caption on the bottom of the website.

“As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, to elicit certain reactions.”

There are guidelines in place for security threats and they are there for a very good reason. Although I am a professional pilot I do not know it all, or always hold hard and fast beliefs/opinions. Sometimes here on this forum you seem to get very polarized views and opinions.

As an example you are flying along and the Cabin crew reports that one of the passengers has verbally told him/her that “there is a bomb on board”. The individual voicing this is a young student amongst a group of school kids. Do you divert because there has been a threat made to your aircraft? Another scenario a written a note and left it on a seat/left in the toilet saying there is a bomb on board. Do you divert? Or finally ATC inform you that a coded threat has been received against your flight. Do you divert?

My point is there are many shades of grey and command responsibilities have to be taken in context. I prefer guidelines written by a security expert, endorsed by the state of register of the aircraft and signed by the chief pilot. That, to me, is as good as a manager putting:

“…..a simple line in the Ops Manual, stating that crews must not heed any such threats "'cos we know better" will suffice.

Now step forward just one manager , with suitably sized gonads to write and support that line..........no?.......not even one? .......but surely its not a problem”

If these guidelines are available and have not been followed by the Commander then I think it entirely fair that the Chief Pilot, Base Captain or one of the Managers questions the decision and reprimands accordingly if necessary.

I think if you look carefully or ask questions in your company you may be surprised that there is indeed guidelines available to you. If not then hey there should be.