PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Real" Engine outs
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2008, 21:25
CJ Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to the original topic

I have also done one for real, and it went well.

Referring back to the original anecdote, from the viewpoint of the non-flying pilot, a real forced landing is supposed to look unusually steep, and not just from a drag/speed point of view. In a practice forced landing there's a tendency to try to stretch the glide, because after all, if it doesn't work we can always add power and try again! In the real thing, that's not an option, and a recurring point in all the tips is "stay higher on the glideslope than you would normally", along with "aim half way down the field, not at the threshold". That's because with no engine in a typical draggy light aircraft you can always stuff the nose down for a quick plummet to use up spare energy, but you can't pull back to stretch the glide. In fact when it all goes quiet it may be worth reminding yourself to check the field directly underneath you, rather than gazing into the distance for a better option.

As someone once said, it is better to hit the fence at the far end slowly, than it is to hit the fence at the near end quickly.

In my own case (and to my pleasant surprise) the aircraft stopped about 15 feet away from the wall at the far end of the field!