PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie needs help, advice and support/cuddles!
Old 1st Apr 2008, 17:19
Tintin1980

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needs help, advice and support/cuddles!

Hi.
Hopefully some of you out there can give me some real advice and guidance.
I have been serving in the RAF for 10 years now as an Airframe Technician but have longed to fly as far back as I can remember. I have come to a point in my life now where I can realise my dream.
Any advice I can get regarding any available govrenment grants, Enhanced Learning Credits, any courses which might be useful to me whilst on my ressetlement, the chances of employment with an airline after completing all -PPL-CPL-IR-MCC-ATPL, etc. I will be financing this myself and am aware of the costs (Hence I'm wondering about ELC and government help).
As I said I'm brand new to all of this, and I still have two years of ressetlement in the RAF before I have to start with everything, but some early planning can't be bad. Any advice on ressetlement courses which may be of help would also be greatfully recieved.
Lastly, if needed I could also fund a type rating course at a push, I believe these courses cost around £21,000 for 737 or £25,000 for 757 (Just as examples). Is it worth paying for these courses myself or would an airline be willing to pick up these courses for me?
As you can probably tell, I'm a long way off starting anything for real, (not that Two years is a long time!) I just need some concrete facts to start from scratch.

Thank you all very much, and good luck to you all!

Chris.