PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI captain has passenger arrested for peeing
Old 1st Apr 2008, 16:45
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 please

The point I was trying to make fairly light-heartedly is that there is no more risk of injury to a passenger who happens to be standing up in a taxying aircraft than there is to one who happens to be standing up in a moving Tube train, bus, ordinary train or whatever. Millions do that every day without filling the hospitals. Astonishing, isn't it?

I'm not sure what you mean by "slamming on the brakes" but whatever it is, it is far more likely to happen in a bus than in an aircraft whose progress is almost as regulated as a train, in which the risk is about equal.

Using expressions like
the pilot slams on the brakes, we got 30 or so pax, piled up in the aisles
is simple, laughable exaggeration and does nothing for your argument.

What I am promoting here is simple commonsense, and sensible consideration of the facts and risks. The chance of a passenger on the way to the loo after perhaps 2 hours of lockdown being hurt because the pilot "slams on the brakes" while the aircraft is slowly and intermittently making its way up a long queue is so small that it's not worthy of even mentioning.

Even if the brakes are "slammed on", as you put it, the aircraft taxy speed is less than the average bus or Tube train, and a fraction of a typical overland train's speed.

Does that tell you anything?

If you really think that it's not safe for people to move around in an aircraft while it's taxying, you should divert your attention from making people pee in their seats to a campaign to force the Government to instal seat belts in buses and trains, together with a law which says people must sit down wearing the belt while the vehicle is moving.

Oh yes, and cabin crew shouldn't move about if doing so is dangerous; if the brakes are "slammed on" and a CC is therefore injured, perhaps under the pile of 30 bodies, the flight would have to be terminated altogether due to the loss of a required crew member. So no more safety demos while taxying, eh, or any other movement in the cabin. Far too dangerous; standing up, facing backwards, sudden stop, serious injury. I'm amazed at the bravery of crew who do this daily.