PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Life
Thread: Atlas Life
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2008, 15:16
WhaleDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't give you any info on the STN base. I have been lucky enough to not have the pleasure.

Living in Europe is a good thing. The QOL is much better because the guys are able to do standby at home, vs. a hotel Nice has been popular, because of some good tax issues.

I'm at Atlas for the duration. We are the Leader in ACMI. We like to say we're the scum that floats above the bottom feeders. Work rules suck, but pay ain't bad, when compared to what has happened to the majors.

We have LONG term customers. That is what makes us different from others. Currently, in the ACMI world, a one year contract is long term. Qantus just signed a six year deal for three planes. Air New Zealand extended as well. With the 747-8's coming, new customers in the future, and with oil prices rising, the value of this investment is looking better.

As we get rid of the -200's, we are positioning our selfs for our long term survival. Yes, our competition is picking them up, but at some point, the -200 will be an anchor that could sink the competition.

A new contract is a wild card. Do a little search and you'll see some of the issues. The Polar stuff is holding things up and it's up to an arbitrator at this point. Whatever the result, we will be moving forward sometime this summer. Then, God only knows.

Hope this helps. Maybe a STN guy will chime in on those issues.