PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Real" Engine outs
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2008, 14:57
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The success of a forced landing is based on the sucessful landing of an intact aircraft. Leaving the aircraft as a pile of wreckage in a smoking hole while you descend by parachute could hardly be classed as successful. Besides, the statistics were for light piston singles which don't tend to have ejector seats.

The SLA technique involves you imagining an angle between you and the touchdown point. If that angle is increasing, you are going to land long. Conversely, if that angle in decreasing you will undershoot. This requires you to fly an almost complete curving approach to the touchdown point. it may sound like what you do already, largely because you have worked it out for yourself. But in my experience, it is tought very infrequently at club level. From my experience of teaching it, students picked it up very quickly - and once mastered they made sucessful glide approaches nearly every time. The primary skill is judging the changing SLA. It's not as difficult as it first may seem.

The military oval circuit isn't really flown using the SLA because the aim is to roll out at 300' or so. However, the glide circuit is taught using the SLA and the final roll out can be - and often is quite low.

I have attached the page from the Chipmunk Student Study Guide which shows the SLA PFL pattern. be aware that you don't have to reach Hi Key at the specified heights. Once you are experienced in the technique, you can join the pattern at any point.