PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2008, 14:14
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snanceki
So either the team has:
1. No idea what caused the accident in which case the extremely improbably theories need to be considered more seriously or
2. The findings are worrying with significant impact to other aircraft / operations (although likelyhood of a repeat is low based on experience to date) and any action must be thoroughly researched and backed up due to implied costs etc. of taking action. ETOPS?

I wonder which is nearer to being correct? I favour option 2.
I also favor option 2. Similar to what we knew about TWA800 at the same time. I hate mysteries in investigating multiple probabilistic combinations when the actual chain is missing links which can not be verified easily. Yet the aviation comunity including the users awaits a definitive corrective action to make the outcome all go away. If the wrong recommendation is chosen it not only is costly but it also adds new unforseen risks of its own. Therfore one can not rush quickly into expressing a conclusion.

I usually am satisfied to put a close watch on the data stream information that the fleet has to offer relative to suspected contributing causes and see what theory is best supported by monitoring the continued airworthiness of the suspected product line..

An no I don't yet have in mind a definition of the suspected product line, be it Rolls, Boeing or the whole damn fleet. I am only drawn to the parallels following TWA800