PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF A330s
Thread: RAF A330s
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2008, 09:11
BSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm absolutely certain that the A330 is the best tanker for the job. PFI financing though? Bonkers.

As for leasing the aeroplanes to airline operators: it may have been a gimmick to persuade people that the cost can be constrained and thus greater value for money found in the project, for just a second though, lets think about it.

1. You are offered an aeroplane which is not entirely compatible with the rest of your fleet. Weights may be significantly heavier, fuel burn, payload potential, range, etc., may all be adversely affected.

2. What of the cabin fit? Most A330s in use in the UK have superbly fitted cabins, with extensive IFE suites. Pull that in and out in 5 days? Are the wing mounted pods going to stay in place? I surely hope not, it will take your favourite handling agent in XXXX just a moment to knock one off with the bowser/steps/baggage trolleys/catering trucks as it is not the same as the regular 'plane.

3. What guarantee will there be that as an operator you have the aeroplane when you need it. HMG picks a fight with someone, and hey presto! you have to surrender that lift capacity which you had banked on and indeed sold ahead for the next few months. It will be one heck of a contract to write, accept, sign up to. Sounds like you'll get 5 days notice that your LGW-XXX is now cancelled 'cause your 'plane is pumping gas.

4. What rates will you be charged/pay for the use of said tanker in a pax config? Will it be les than the going rate in the market for a similar type. If it is, then even I as a mere airline pilot could make a darned good case for anti-competitive practices, along the lines of state-sponsored assets being made available to certain customers putting them in an advantageous position in relation to thier competitors.

Is this a practical idea? I think not. A typically ill-informed plan by the present government which will result in only one thing: A ton of money heading to the lawyers who get involved.

Is it just a coincidence that so many ministers in HMG are ex-lawyers?

The nation needs a military force which is well-equipped, and capable. This will not facilitate it.

BSD.