PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC ramps up training at NZHN - More overcrowding?
Old 1st Apr 2008, 06:54
slackie

Location: Live in Taupiri, Waikato, work in the big smoke, New Zealand
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the beginning...
Without knowing what "camp" you're in I can't really comment, but I know what we did in the beginning...we studied the existing traffic patterns and (with our ATS Ops chaps) attempted to formulate procedures to cope with the forecast increase in traffic, using a mix of current and past procedures from places like AR TG and CH...and then put our procedures to the local operators in the context of "what do you think?"...the locals replied "Let's give it a try" and it went on from there as described earlier...can't think of another way of doing it...but again happy to listen to other suggestions.

"Is HN the best place for this to take place for new controllers?"
I think Hamilton is an excellent place for trainees...there is pretty constant and diverse traffic...it's not "rocket science" - it's just a bit busy...but that is better than somewhere like Rotovegas or NV were there is very little traffic, or OH where the type of control is "different".

It is, however, very difficult for the OJTIs (On The Job Instructors)...exactly how much rope does one give the trainee?? How much delay "due training" is acceptable (and don't say, "None!")?? When should the OJTI take over?? etc...pretty similar questions a flying instructor asks!