PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC ramps up training at NZHN - More overcrowding?
Old 1st Apr 2008, 05:06
slackie

Location: Live in Taupiri, Waikato, work in the big smoke, New Zealand
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
27/09 & Hans
There is the odd occasion when BAY don't change the inbound IFR to the correct freq (everyone makes mistakes!) but in the vast majority of times the correct change instructions are given. Without knowing the exact case I can't really comment further, but it sounds like an oversight somewhere...did you query why you were still with CH Ctl on 5nm at the time or were you "happy" to continue on in??

There wasn't much consultation at the start
I beg to differ...we consulted from the outset (once we heard that CTC were coming)...the VFR Procedures were initially introduced as a trial in conjunction with local users meeting...local users (including some AR users) were then invited to critique...they were then promulgated..."bedded in" for a period...then critiqued again...Airways then conducted a Operational Review that again interviewed all local operators...amendments were then trialled again before again being critiqued by local operators...and we now we have what we have....so which part of this did you miss out on?????
I'd like to reiterate that this is still a movable feast...if we can further tweak the procedures then we will.

Training
And I think you missed my point with training...we can't all be up to speed from the first time we sit "on position"...did you successfully land your aircraft at the first try?? Did you learn to fly your aircraft by watching your instructor or did you learn by doing (and making mistakes)?? How exactly do you propose that we train controllers without using live traffic at some point??

Totally agree with the idea of getting controllers more piloting experience...as an instructor (and pilot) myself it is plainly obvious which trainees have past experience and which don't...having said that I've seen more than one trainee with a CPL not be able to transfer that knowledge to controlling!

Yes it is much better now but could be better still.
Do tell!! We have always been open to suggestions, and still are, but when actually asked what needs changing most go silent!! The stage is yours (and I take your suggestion re the ATIS)....