PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting ATPL Tomorrow!! Any Tips??
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2008, 22:52
Leezyjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We actually had "56 tonnes, tick next question" in our exam !!! brought a smile to our faces that did !!.

I purposfully said hello to the door guys every morning, and good night every evening. I think if you show them that basic courtesy, they are alright with you - or it really p's them off depending who it is !!.

There is a sandwich shop around the corner called "Hot Spot" which makes just about anything you want, but Oasis over the road from the Uni is cheaper. There is also a cheap chicken place that does chicken and chips for £1.40, it's round the back of KFC near the ticket booths for the Tower - I was sure they were just robbing the stuff KFC had thrown out and re-selling it, but it tasted ok !!. For beers, try Mary Janes just up the road towards Aldgate on a Friday around 17.00 - gets quite alot of nice office ladies in there after work

Patrick is an absolute legend - he even has his own Facebook appreciation group !!. He may go on a bit sometimes, but he has a heart of gold and will really try his best to find out answers if he doesn't know the answer immediately - ask him to take you on a trip to the science museum to the aviation section too - it's a great way of seeing what you have been looking at in a book. (if you read this - sorry Patrick !!).

Chris is a great lecturer - he really knows lots of ways to help people learn, any problems with the learning process - go see him.

Mike and Pete are like a comedy double act !!. I loved listening to their old RAF stories.

Washi and Geoff are also great blokes too who enjoy a laugh, so don't be afraid to crack a joke or 2 with them.

im in to minds as to go for BGS or do the residential ATPL,s at london met.
I started on BGS, but switched to LMU as I was just not getting on with self study (NO relfection on BGS or the quality of their notes I must add - purely me being too lazy to self study).

I do not regret making the change. The guys at LMU were superb and I had such a great time, I wish I was back there doing it all again - not often you hear that about the ATPL's eh !!.

It all depends on you as a person as to which suits though, I am not cut out for self study as I'm not disciplined enough to sit down and get on with it, although that probably comes from 15 years working with pilots on the ground who constantly tell you it's all a load of crap you don't need to know and after working 12 hours in the airport, going home and then learning about planes is the last thing you want to do !!.

With a residential, the lecturers will also guide you in the direction of the things you REALLY need to know, which really helps to focus your learning, where-as doing it yourself, you end up learning everything - some of which is never tested !!.

With regards to transport, I bought a 125cc scooter which was quicker than public transport and worked out cheaper too (100mpg/£15 tax/No Cong Charge) and is more reliable - there is a car park about 2 mins walk from the Uni that has a free motorcycle area too. As I don't need the scooter any more now I've finished the course, I'm selling it if anyone fancies it - pm me for more details.