PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - small jet down in London
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2008, 22:15
SLF-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Local report

As some one who saw the aircraft just prior to the crash, I can report the following.

The pilot was flying very low just 400 yards or so from my home flying 45 degrees to runway 21 (I think you call this base leg) and must have crashed just as he turned to line up for the runway. My home is about a mile from the crash site and 3 miles from runway 21.

What I saw was the aircraft dipping its wings, as if in salute. No doubt, this was the pilot trying to keep the aircraft in level flight. The sound from the aircraft engines was as if it was low on power, not a lot of nuts and bolts rattling as some people have said.

It also looked as if the pilot was trying to land on the football field near the crash site. Unfortunately the field was in use by local school children at the time. Some of the children were away from school today (Monday) due to the shock of seeing the crash.

As for the fire attendance, I understand from local people. Fire services from Orpington and Bromley were called out. Biggin Hill airport fire services also attended (yellow fire truck in BBC video). Search and rescue helicopters ZH-544 from the RAF and G-BIMU Coastguard where also in attendance (obtained from photographs taken by myself).

No doubt this crash will raise the question of a main hospital being on the approach to runway 21 which is located also about 400 yards from the crash site. Pressure will once again be brought on Biggin Hill to be restricted to the type of aircraft using the airport.

May those who were lost in the crash, rest in peace. We owe a lot to the skill of the crew.