PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How good is your IMC
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2001, 20:50
Chilli Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
200V

I've just renewed mine for the second time. Every flight I plan I plan as a possible IMC/IFR flight - why? Because it's ideal for getting on top when you can, where the the traffic is less, and it's the only way you can legally do it.

A good example came about last April, on a trip to Le Touquet. From my operating base (EGBN) the best way is through the Stansted, Luton Gap. Cloud was between 1200 & 2000 ft, hazy below. HOWEVER - on top, routing BKY - BPK - LAM at 2400' I could carry out the flight quite safely, without infringeing Luton or Stansted, and without trying to crawl underneath the Stansted stub at 1400' in the murk. Where I was it was cloud below and beautifully blue skies above.

I've used it to fly constant IMC as well, but after about half an hour it starts getting tiring unless it's smooth.

The answer has to be 'know your limitations'. For some it will be a get out of trouble rating. I was taught it by a guy who would teach it to almost IR standards - for that I will always be grateful, as I've had to use it to fly approaches to IMC minima - providing I stay current then I'll always feel happy to use it.

CM