PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First taildragger lesson!
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2001, 14:42
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting point about slipping...

My instructor advised against slipping in the Super Cub, although the POH does allow it. Apparently, our Cub had an engine failure a while ago. No defects were found, and the most likely cause was recorded as fuel starvation due to disrupted fuel flow during an extended slip. Don't know any more details than that, but I'll try to find out.

The idle speed of the engine was increased to prevent a repeat (the slightly higher idle probably contributes to the good "gliding" abilities!), but I can see how slipping might cause problems with a purely gravity-fed system, especially when taking fuel from the lower wing.

I like slipping in the Warriors, it is a very useful method of getting down quickly. I think I will try to speak to one of the more experienced Cub instructors about this - he not only knows the Cub, but also knows this particular aircraft's history. Problem is he only works part time so he's difficult to get hold of.

Glad you like the write-up - it took a while to write, it's good to see people enjoy reading it!

FFF
-----------