PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK JSF. Why?
Thread: UK JSF. Why?
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2008, 12:33
Occasional Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thread Drift

Interesting.

Doesn't look like there have really been any actual answers to the thread starter's quuestion.

Rakshasa said:

Well for starters, it's not 20+ years old (AV8B/GR5+), has a radar (GR7/9 do not), and comes in CATOBAR and STOVL varieties that the Typhoon cannot and almost certainly never will.
but that really only makes the case for a (any) carrier-borne AD-capable aircraft. I don't intend to start a debate about whether we need one of those - UK defence policy is that we're going to have one. But why JSF?

Tightflester's (outdated) links mention UK/US cooperation and say that JSF will be shiny and capable, and ORAC (predictably) blames the RAF for choosing JSF for the RN (?), but I am still a bit confused as to how we got to where we are.

Is it stealth? If so, I'm unconvinced that the small range/weaponload when stealthy is cost effective when compared to the cheap & cheerful TLAM or the more-capable Storm Shadow. Is it the STOVL capability? Nice to have when you're operating from small strips (as JFH have demonstrated) but is this an articulated capability requirement, perhaps as part of the FRES rapid intervention concept?

Yes, we will need SOMETHING to put on our carriers (providing the Defence Select Committee can be convinced we have the ability to operate them), but why JSF? Why not SuperHornet or Rafale?

What hole does this capability really fill?