PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MFRA and Acceleration Altitude
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2008, 12:19
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bank-angle protection in the engine-out case

Quote from PCTool:
Also, V2+15 is the target climb speed and provides a certain bank angle protection. Can someone provide some more information on this?
[Unquote]

My knowledge is very limited, and am unable to access any manuals, so have been hoping someone would enlighten us on the above; possibly a Boeing driver?

If memory serves, bank angle in the initial climb (prior to flap-retraction) was a big issue on the B707 (-320). At V2, it was limited to 15 degrees. To enable 30 degrees, you needed V2+15. So any close-in turns to avoid obstacles had to take that into account for the engine-out case, where it was not possible to accelerate to V2+15. [In the all-engine case, the initial climb speed was always V2+15.]

As far as I can remember, all the other jet types I flew (including the VC10) permitted 30 degrees of bank at V2. Presumably, it is bound up in the relationship between the certificated V2 and Vs. Does the B707 offer less "fat" because of its age (since initial type-certification) or was this (and, perhaps, is this still) a Boeing thing?

As for the situation after clean-up, figures of V2+45 and V2+60 may have allowed banks of 15 degrees and 30 degrees respectively on the B707?

Could B727/737/747/756/777 pilots please bring us up to date?

Just one other point on flap retraction, for all multi-engine types: is it fair to specify that it is normally conducted in a gentle climb in the all-engine case; but in level flight in the engine-out case?