PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Real" Engine outs
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2008, 10:32
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stationary prop

Yes, TotalBeginner, forgive me but I fear you are wrong. In fact the drag from a stationary prop is much greater than from a windmilling prop.

To provide a simple explanation, a windmilling prop, by revolving, is giving way to the force of the air passing through its blades. The only resistance being from some aerodynamic drag, friction and engine compression (if there is any left depending on what has bust). Each blade is still to some extent behaving like an aerofoil, thus limiting the amount of drag it produces by converting the energy of passing air into circular motion. A stationary prop, by contrast, is resisting passing air totally. Each blade behaving like a large flat plate held out in the slipstream.

One thing that concerns me about the way PFLs are taught is that all too often students are not warned about the very different handling to be expected of an aircraft power off with the prop stationary. This will require a very much steeper angle of descent in order to maintain flying speed. Add to this the fact that stopped prop is something you cannot practice in the air.

Good luck and keep up the flying.

Broomstick.

Last edited by BroomstickPilot; 31st Mar 2008 at 10:34. Reason: Haven't got it quite right