PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chaos at Terminal 5
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2008, 10:25
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
As an MBA and as a former airline management person, I'd like to add my cup of petrol to this little fire....

For a start, thanks to the British class system, "British Management" is an oxymoron.

Unless you are a product of Oxford or Cambridge, life is pretty much against you in a management role. It breeds the usual class divides where feedback from the plebs is not welcome. This has led, in manufacturing industry to the point where household names like Jaguar and Land-Rover are now trade names of an Indian company.

I mean really folks, you invented the "East West" engine layout and the Mini - and then left it alone for twenty years while the rest of the world caught up.

I still remember the "sales team" (my italics) who came to sell us the Bae 146. One clown patiently talked me through "the maintenance innovations" and I had to listen politely to his patter about things that Boeing had put into the B727 at least twenty years before.

To put t another way Chaps and Chapesses, don't blame MBA's. You can produce an equally wonderful mess without them.

And...on the bright note, if you are allowed to (by senior management), I'm sure you can muddle through and produce a respectable result. Remember the blitz.

P.S. Sorry, I'm letting my xenophobia show through. I was married to one of you and I think your disdain for Australian wines has actually worked in my favour (price wise).

But I really wish the British would listen to people North of Oxford.