PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Northern UK LLC , EGGP/EGCC
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2001, 00:36
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Vfrpilotpb

Thank you for your erudite contribution. I quote:

“well old boy time you got off your backside and paid em a visit, then I am sure you will see a bigger picture than you do now!”

It’s precisely because I’ve done just that, on at least 5 occasions, that I am aware of the primary radar coverage limitations in the LLR.

I posted on the PPRuNe ATC board a question about this not long ago. The unanimous response from ATCOs was “squawk don’t talk”. There are a few good reasons:

1) Often, the guys are very busy.

2) Calling all known traffic to each one who calls, then informing all the others of the new bloke, takes a lot of controller time.

3) Some pilots (not, of course you, Vfrpilotpb) might relax their lookout on receipt of what sounds like a comprehensive view of everything going on between Wigan and Crewe, and then bang into a non-radio guy.

I am constantly amazed how some recently-qualified PPLs hold the radio in awe, and treat it like an Oracle (‘If the man doesn’t mention it, it isn’t there).

By all means call if it’s not too busy on 119.4. But for heavens sake be aware that the radar man won’t have the full picture. Wise old ATCOs (like Tony Brown) will add to any FIS request “…..and keep a good lookout – there may be others not talking to me”. But not all of them do.

Keep it safe.

SSD