PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High Blood Pressure Medication and Flying for a Career
Old 30th Mar 2008, 18:40
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Gingernut for that. Most interesting. I've been on medication for some two years now. Two a day, one beta blocker one ACE inhibitor. At first I thought it was all over but the Doctors were totally relaxed about it and pointed out that it was like needing glasses. At each class 1 they check the BP and are quite happy with my progress. Now it's just routine. Interesting I was one of those people who isn't overweight never smoked, instinctively avoided salt and ate well generally and who is a moderate drinker, despite the reputation of my countrymen. So it wasn't lifestyle that brought it on.

For my flying career, it simply isn't an issue. For my life assurance it is an issue. I'm now seen as a risk despite the fact that my treatment removes much of the risk. On top of that, being a pilot already increased the premium. You just can't win sometimes. The worst thing about it is that the drugs cost a fortune every month.